Roundtable Discussion “Curating Global Modernisms in the 21st Century”
Catherine David (Musée National d’Art Moderne/CCI, Centre Pompidou, Paris), Clémentine Deliss (Independent Curator/Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin), Patrick Flores (University of the Philippines and the Vargas Museum, Manila) and Nicola Müllerschön (KfW-Stiftung, Frankfurt/M.) discuss “Curating Global Modernisms in the 21st Century” at the Annual Conference of the Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Stiftung – Deutsche Geisteswissenschaftliche Institute im Ausland (5-7 November 2015, Haus der Kulturen der Welt Berlin). Moderation: Hannah Baader (Art Histories and Aesthetic Practices/Kunsthistorisches Institut Florenz/Max-Planck-Institut) and Atreyee Gupta (Art Histories and Aesthetic Practices Fellow 2015/2016).
Roundtable Discussion “Curating Global Modernisms in the 21st Century” from ForumundMaxWeber on Vimeo.
The following interviews and contributions have emerged from the conference:
- Arjun Appadurai: “Indian Popular Cinema in the Making of a Decolonized Modernity”
- Saleem Al-Bahloly in conversation with Nada Shabout: “Freedom in the non-structure”
- Atreyee Gupta in conversation with Ming Tiampo: “It is difficult to change the DNA of a museum”
- Helene Bongers: Tagungsbericht “Global Modernisms: Infrastructures, Contiguities and Aesthetic Practices”
- Saima Akhtar: Conference Review “Global Modernisms: Contiguities, Infrastructures and Aesthetic Practices”
- Hannah Baader and Atreyee Gupta: Welcome and Introduction to “Global Modernism”
- Harsha Ram: “The Scale of Global Modernisms: Imperial, Regional, National, Local”
- Merel van Tilburg: “From ‘Aesthetic Colonialism’ to a Syncretic Aesthetic: Negotiating Universalism, Francité and Negritude in Senegalese and French Modernist Tapestries”
- Combiz Moussavi-Aghdam: “Modern Trends in Pre-Revolutionary Iranian Art and the Question of Alternative Modernism”